Let me start by telling you about the header image…
This is a picture I took of the temple at Chichen Itza in Mexico, when I visited in 2016. It was my first time in Mexico and my first time seeing a wonder of the world. I believe that Chichen Itza is well deserving of a place in the list of wonders of the world. The history, culture and architecture is alive there. You walk around the area and you feel the significance of every stone fizzing through your body, as if struck by lightening.
Design is so important to us and to how we live our lives. I began studying architecture after being inspired by research I had heard of surrounding optimising space for those with dementia. But design is in every element of our lives and often influences us in far more subtle ways than assisting in making those struggling mentally feel more comfortable and retaining familiarity, or feeling a connection to the generations before you. From the simplicity of how changing between using a knife and fork or chopsticks to the fact that Dubai is currently competing against itself to build the next tallest building, and in the process using up extortionate amounts of valuable resources for sustaining their luxurious lifestyle in the middle of a desert!
So this is why design fasinates me and why I write about it, why I have studied it, and why I am determined to continue to work and research design.
Types of design…
Design is a very broad term and to be honest, I am interested (to an extent) in all of it. I do have some preferences though, which I shall tell you now, so that you know what to expect! My primary interest is in architecture, interiors and the city. This is something I have explored through my studies and generally has a more direct and permanent impact on our lives. Product design is a natural and close second to me. Then come all the details that help with presentation and bringing these to life, while also being very important in their own rights of course; graphic design, website design, photography, fine art, illustration, animation… The list is endless and can be as broad or niche as you want! Some types of design that I enjoy when I come across them but probably wont focus on, because I don’t spend so much of my time considering them include: game design, software and applications, fashion, retail design, automobiles.
I will mention though that if you want someone who knows about fashion and art, and who cares about the world, then go and look at Emmaleena Grimmy, where art is created and high fashion explored in the context and to raise awareness for charity.
For me, great design actively affects people and challenges the way we act and see ourselves or the world. Great design is often controversial and some people hate it. Great design is also often so integrated into our lives that we take it for granted. As a former student of architecture, I believe in balance, in Yin and Yang, in the Golden Ratio, and in Vitruvius’ theory of Firmness, Commodity and Delight.
In case you’re interested, here are the official wonders of the world.
I hope to visit them all some day.
New 7 Wonders of the World
- Chichen Itza
- Christ the Redeemer
- Great Wall of China
- Machu Picchu
- Taj Mahal
7 Wonders of the Ancient World
- Great Pyramid of Giza
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon
- Temple of Artemis
- Statue of Zeus at Olympia
- Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
- Colossus of Rhodes
- Lighthouse of Alexandria
Recent posts on Design
- DIA AWARDS DINNER Last Thursday, I had the opportunity to attend the DIA (Dundee Institute of Architects) Awards Dinner with the ADAS committee. Of course, it is open for people to attend and I could have gone independently but it was definitely better to go with a group and to be a part of representing our architecture association. Bonds ...
- OFIS Arhitekti I was just scrolling through Dezeen when I came across this design by OFIS architects. It caught my attention because of the unusual roof design, and also because I just love timber (but to be honest, who doesn’t?). Having not heard of OFIS previously, I had a look at their site. Firstly, I like their website, it is slick ...
- Louis Kahn and Sir John Soane I have recently been researching Louis Kahn and Sir John Soane. I investigated Kahn’s Fisher House (1960-67) in Pennsylvania for a villa analysis project. This was teamwork, and our first project that was longer than a few days. This was also the first time that I had been to produce technical, measured drawings and models. I ...